Cozy – adjective – giving a feeling of comfort, warmth, and relaxation.
To me, chili is a meal for a cold cozy day, where you want a tasty hearty meal. Packed full of flavour this recipe blends in the classic beef, with lentils for an added twist, and no beans. You can easily add beans if you would like, or remove the meat to make it vegetarian. Make this meal to serve a crowd, and add some warm biscuits or nacho chips as a side – Yum!
Crockpot Beef Lentil Chili
Servings: about 6 – 8
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ small white onion – diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup red pepper – diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 540 ml can chickpeas – rinsed
- 1 540 ml can lentils – rinsed
- 1 ½ cups of corn
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 ½ tablespoon of chilli powder
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 2 cups beef broth
- Onion and garlic powder to taste
- Grated cheese (optional)
- Nacho chips (optional)
- Heat a frying pan to medium-high and cook beef, onion, peppers, and minced garlic until meat is browned and onions/peppers are cooked almost through.
- Add everything from the pan and the rest of the ingredients to a large crock pot. Season to taste.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours.
- Stir occasionally, taste near the end to decide if you would like to add more seasonings.
- Optional – Serve with grated cheese on top, and biscuits and nacho chips on the side. Yum!
Note: You can cook this in a large pot instead. Do step one, then add everything and bring to a boil then simmer for 15-20 minutes.
*Freezer meal friendly*